Have you ever been accepted and then been rejected at the same time?


Yes, It was one such day. Being excited about the interview about the job proile and having thought a lot about it, I felt I should give it a try. After all, trying is better and interesting. But, in the present case, I'd to risk the chance since I'd no idea about it.
The clock struck 8 in the morning. It was time for me to leave to the unknown place for the interview having a thin tall zero knowledge about the job designation. After a while, I'd literally lost my way due to confusing sector main roads and somehow made it for the office building late just a few minutes from the fixed appointment time.
It was a fresh sunny day with slow moving traffic as usual in one of the heaviest and busiest highways in Bangalore city. The tension was building up inside my blank mind which was more concerned than my heart about the job. In the signal, a poor weak woman sold yellow large balloons for ten rupees each to make her living for the day. She looked terrible carrying a baby in her arms. Why is life soo miserable? I wonder.
I wanted to forget my interview and just go help the lady in all the ways that I could. She had the baby covered in a black dotted shawl. Eyes spoke paleness. Hands stretched begging for money in the signal. It was helplessly crying out loud for food. I closed my eyes for a moment and said a little prayer thanking God for all that I've been gifted and blessed, praying this poverty will eradicate soon from this world.

Having been in the hangover of the moments passed in the signal, I reached the office help desk to enquire about the HR for further interview process.
Interview process included four prolonged rounds namely Self introduction, Email writing, PPA test, IQ test. There were ten to fifteen candidates for various job designations. Most of them were experienced persons among them except me- "The fresher".
Ofcourse I was scared competing with the experienced candidates. Before the interview started, at one moment, I even felt like running away out the door screaming. But then I had to clear and erase my mind screen from such negative feelings. Honestly speaking, this was not my domain and associate interest.
I was least interested in software, corporate and 'computer' coding. It was a vex, torture sitting in the air getting hot and tight around me in the hallway.
Pen is mightier than the sword. I wanted to write. I wanted to dance,sing and just go out there and help that poor balloon woman. But I had to try corporate for many other good reasons!
After the application forms were filled with all the document details, the candidates were asked to wait in the lobby. After a while, we were lifted to the first floor of the building where the interview rounds were to be held.
A young tall lady approached us calling each one of us for the PPA test. She had strawberry sweet voice, long hair and an ecstasy figure! Ofcourse guys kept looking at her whenever she passed by us and pretended to act all innocent.
She gave the clear instructions on how the PPA test had to be taken. She had the longest hair I've ever seen anywhere. Ever! She looked exactly like one of my aunts. Test was normal. Good results.
Further we were directed to the next floor of the building for the second round of the interview which was 'E-mail writing'. I chose to write on requesting the client to be the guest speaker for our upcoming webinar. I was lucky enough to pass this round too. Few candidates were eliminated. Others had to wait for the other two rounds i.e. IQ test and the final HR face to face interview.
There were special services for the candidates who had been waiting from a long time now. A staff boy served us tea in eco-friendly white paper cups. He was decent, hair being neatly combed to left side of the bisector. The empty cups were collected by him once we were done.
The best part of the building was, each step has a humourous quote printed on them, as in like one of them being- "My dream is to be a millionaire like my uncle,he's dreaming too".
Another one that I remember is-
"when trouble shoots you, you've to shoot back the trouble".
The last step read- "you can take my advice, I don't use it anyway".
This was the only green plackards on the stairs that eased our stress level.
I made few momentary friends while waiting to be called for the further rounds. One guy having worked for two years with a backlog in his 11th grade was having excellent communication skills but was whining about his backlog subject. He told his sad story of how he still couldn't pass the commerce subject even after four faithful attempts.
The lady with the long hair who had tangled a plait now called my name and asked me to meet the HR. She took me into the sub cabin where in HR was waiting for me and she closed the door behind me. My heart started pounding against the chest. It was the final round for the day! I sighed a relief and told myself that I'm going to do this.
I slightly opened the HR main cabin where he had been seated. He asked me to come in, made no eye contact. He was busy updating the resume details in his personal computer. I was asked to take my seat. I gently closed the door and pulled a wheelchair next to the door. While I pulled my chair, unknowingly I hit right side of my head to the right edge of his computer monitor that he was busy with. Edge's angle rotation was about 10 to 12 degrees anticlockwise after the thud. He continued to stay calm while I panicked.
Many files lay on his left hand side of the desk. A coffee mug on his right along with a bunch of lazy ballpens with various colors. I suppose many among didn't work.
He shone with bright blood red casual Tee. His brown eyes were well protected in the rectangular frame spectacles. Smile that he gave was calm,friendly and peaceful. He was a bald man with few millimetres of hair pending on the behind surface of his head. Ofcourse the head shone like the ghatam instrument.
I always love to answer for the most famous question-
''Tell me something about yourself''.
We had a great talk on the resume details. He was all completely fine with all that I answered except the technical question area.
He seemed quite upset when he got to know I've least knowledge in the post that he was hiring me. I wasn't surprised! That had to be obvious. He informed me about my weakness and on the topics that I was supposed to improve. But the miracle that happened was, he gave me a second chance and asked me to come back in a month.
Apparently, he was too much impressed from the talk that we had and he wanted to hire me in any situation and all the cases and he promised me he'll definitely offer me the joining for the job in a month. I had never thought this would happen when I woke up that morning. The job that I never wanted to attend but was offered a second chance with maximum benefits.  Never in my dreams had I thought about it. That's when you know the result of trying. Don't you think, that's when you rediscover your hidden potentials?

No comments:

Post a Comment