Un Omicidio.

It's a particular smell that hits me when I enter this place. The smell itself, I feel, has a sense of being lost. Dry air, overflown drainage, the flowers on women’s body standing all over the street, with a decorated smile on their face, waiting for their customers. It's all  or one of those that causes the smell. 
 There's a sense of urgency for everyone here. Right from the BMTC buses moving with a perception that road is empty and can move along all over the road to people on bikes, this place is always moving. Right there, somewhere in between these busy faces that I see every day sitting from the office vehicle, I saw this face. At first I was glancing like the way I do every day when the bus stops at every signal, searching my surroundings with no particular interest of finding anything.
 I stared at the teenager on the bike, restless that he was struck in traffic, the guy on the bike, what appears to be his girlfriend as his pillion rider, the school kids, probably heading backfinishing their tuition,
Perhaps a newly married couple, or not married who cares, all energetic stud with his muscular body being shown to its fullest, how primitive we still are in terms of sex, after all the civilization that we boast we have attained!
 I see young pretty girls with all their body covered except for their eyes, I love this. Since eyes can't hide what you want to hide through the rest of the body. And there's this crowded BMTC for which it is always natural to be filled like a paper bag. I was just moving my eyes from the bus to the car next to the bus when this person caught my attention!

Not an exquisite look, although the face had an I-have-seen-this-person thing attached to it. My eyes rolled back onto BMTC. Although the person seems to have touched a string or two in my memory, I didn't think in the beginning that the person is actually looking at me. I assumed that the person was looking at the stud on the bike right in between the bus I was in, and the BMTC, but it turned out that the stare was aimed at me and I later realized that I should have stopped things right there and then.
 It was all clear now and the person on BMTC was looking all furious now. With tongue out and eyes red, the face reminded me of all the demons from scary dreams in the childhood. It was as if only the face has been cut and placed there in the window and nothing in the surroundings seemed to suit the attire the face was associated with.
Now I could almost see the face cursing and trying to put the head out of the window, perhaps in an attempt to reach me. Thankfully, people around were all fixed on the person doing the tantrums that they never saw who the face was looking at.
I was almost terrified now. But still somehow managed to keep on looking at the face. I guess I was into some stupid game already with the person. I thought if I keep on looking at the face I'd win eventually a game which I didn't even know a thing about.
Right when the timer at the signal hit zero a horrific thing happened. The face now was cursing out loud and probably was trying hard to reach me. Then it went on to scream and shouted out loud my name with a tone that still makes me scared.
The bus I was in took a sharp turn and now I was closer to the BMTC. Then in that closer view I could see that the face was missing nose and all that was left there was just a couple of holes, adding to the horror that the face was creating.
 Now I knew, the reason why I felt De ja vu. I knew the person and something cold started to rise from the rear part of my backbone...!



No comments:

Post a Comment